- The approaching arctic air outbreak will be the coldest air mass since February 2021.
- It is forecast that temperatures will drop quickly Thursday Night into Friday Morning.
- Temperatures likely to be in the teens north of Highway 105, near 20 degrees near I-10, and in the mid 20s south of I-10
- Many areas could be below freezing for 20-36 hours
- Many areas will likely not get above freezing on Friday.
- Though warming into the upper 30s will occur on Saturday, temperatures will drop below freezing on Saturday Night/Sunday Morning
Important to Protect the Four Ps
National Weather Service Information
- Thursday into the Christmas Holiday
- The Arctic front is on track to move into the area on Thursday. It will bring periods of freezing temperatures (and likely some <25°) into much of the weekend.
- Too early to confidently pinpoint exactly just how low readings will fall, or how many consecutive hours below freezing any single location will get.
- Confidence is high that we will see some bitterly cold air and freezing temperatures, but don’t focus on any individual model, or model run, this far out.
- The specifics will change as time progresses.
- All businesses and residents should begin preparation for some hard freezes before the coldest weather is set to move in on Thursday.
- For industry that needs an extended amount of lead time, the NWS encourages individuals to review plans/actions that might need to be implemented should conditions warrant (any extended durations of subfreezing temperatures, gale force winds, high seas, low water conditions, etc.)